Your Ad Here
Your Ad Here

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Hello New World

First and foremost I would like to thank Jeremy for his very heartfelt and warm introduction. This is the very first blog that I have ever written, so I hope that this entry does not disappoint.

I would like to begin by introducing myself to this new world. I am a 22 year old college student majoring in English. I still have no idea what I want to do with my life, or what I can do with my degree, which I will be receiving much sooner than I would like. My one true love would be history. I pride myself on my knowledge of it, especially ancient history. I hope I do not bore too many people in my later posts since I tend to ramble on about the past a lot.

Being a college student, I also happen to hold the stereotypical college job, waiting tables in a mid priced local restaurant. I have been waiting on people for at least four years now, so naturally I have slowly grown a small hatred for people in general. Now before I am labeled as one of those ‘angry women’ let me explain. For some reason when some people enter a restaurant, they automatically assume that the waitress is their personal slave for an hour. Since becoming a server I have been yelled at, called stupid, had my ass grabbed and been offered money for sex. My favorite would be being snapped at and called “hey you”. Unfortunately the side effect of this has been an all around negative view on the human race.

As for my view on people being stupid, I think that it is due to a lack of knowledge of their surroundings, and not so much with a low i.q. Living in a small town in southern Louisiana, I see this all the time. Some people fail to educate themselves about the world around them, and because of this they do not think for themselves. In the story I am about to tell this is exactly the case.

When I was in the 11th grade I sat right in front of the salutorian in my English class. She was smart in the sense that she was good at cheating in high school; she had no real knowledge of anything.
For two days that spring my class had to take the GRE, a standardized test that scores your basic knowledge of subjects like history, English, and math. The test is not that hard, and the questions tend to be rather simple.
After the history portion of the test on the second day we received a 15-minute break, but had to stay in the room so we did not interrupt the other classes.
During this break I turned around and started talking with the salutorian behind me. As expected the conversation was about the test we had just taken. We were both agreeing that the test was very easy and we both thought that we did really well.
I then brought up one of the questions on the test:
In what war was Pearl Harbor attacked?
A. WWI
B. Korean
C. WWII
D. Vietnam
I said that I could not believe anyone could get that wrong, everyone knows it was during WWII. She then told me that I was wrong, she answered that it was during the Korean War. Needless to say we then started arguing about the topic.
The teacher then stepped into the conversation, since we sat right next to her desk. She looked at the salutorian like she was dumber than a rock, and told her that she was wrong. To this she said “Oh well, it doesn’t really matter that much”.

I find this story very sad. The school that I attended happens to be one of the top public schools in the state, and someone like that was the salutorian in 2003.
Now I know what some of you are thinking. If I am so much better why were her grades better than mine? The answer is that I am just really lazy.

I hope that everyone enjoyed my entry, and I hope that I will be writing many more in the future.

No comments: