Your Ad Here
Your Ad Here

Sunday, July 1, 2007

Hey you! Give me my food!

Last night work was more hectic than usual. Within about fifteen minutes of opening, every table in the place was full. Needless to say everyone was a bit overwhelmed, so nothing was running smoothly.

Not too long after opening one of my fellow co-workers ran up to me and asked if I could take one of her tables. She claimed there was no way she could get to them anytime soon, since her whole section was full. I guess she failed to notice that everyone’s section was full, but needing the money I agreed to take it. This was one of the worst mistakes of my entire life.

I went up to the table with my usually cheery (but fake) smile. I introduced myself, and asked if they wanted anything to drink while they were looking over the menu. The man at the table looked at me like I was insane, and said “Of course I want something to drink. Get me an Abita Amber, and it better be cold”!

When I returned with the drinks, they placed their order, then basically threw the menus at me. They had ordered an appetizer, that I knew was going to take awhile, so I decided to bring their salads first.

Again the man looks at me like I didn’t know what I was doing and said, “I ordered an appetizer! Why would you bring my salad now? What kind of place is this”?

I told the owner of the restaurant what was going on at the table, and she quickly went over there. She took the salads from the table, and told them that if they were going to treat one of her employees that way, they could just leave (I really love the owners of my restaurant).

Unfortunately they opted for staying, and getting their food. Needless to say, I did not fill their drinks once, or ever bring back the salads they so detested.

Later on, when the man went to the restroom, his wife flagged me over and told me that she had never seen him act that way, and that she was really sorry. She told me that he had just gone through surgery and he was on a lot of medication at the time. I told her it was okay, but I could not help but wonder why, if he was so doped out on pills, they would go out to eat in the first place.

Moral of the story is this: Don’t treat your server badly, if you do, you will get the service you deserve. I never go out my way for people who come in with a chip on their shoulder. No amount of money is worth being treated like scum.

No comments: